Thursday 11 September 2008

Philae Temple

For over 50 years the Island of Philae and its monuments lay half-submerged in water built up by the Aswan Dam and barrages during annual inundations, until the UNESCO rescue operations for the Nubian monuments in the 1960s. The temples have now been completely dismantled and rebuilt to the original orientation on the nearby island of Agilika which rises higher from the water and has been reshaped and landscaped to resemble the original Philae.
The surviving monuments of Philae have been built through several dynasties and were re-used by the early Christians until the temple was finally closed by the Emperor Justinian in 550AD. The main temple is dedicated to Isis and was the centre of the cult of Isis and Hathor during the Roman Period. It was the last pagan temple in use in Egypt.

2 comments:

Stevenson Q said...

JM! I love your blog! I love it so much! I'm going to include it on my list of favorites! All the places you've been! Wow! Those are all my dream places especially ushuaia and tibet! Wow! Have you been to Santorini, that's my ultimate dream! But of course, i am inviting you to visit my country! Though there are bad news that you here about the Philippines, I asure you, visiting here would erase all the negative thoughts!

Have a great weekend and Hope to see you soon on my blog again!

Steven^^

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello!

Lovely photos!

Very informative post.

Thanks for sharing!

Best wishes!